Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Simón Bolívar











Many people, even if they have heard of the name Simón Bolívar, will not know much of him. I did not either, until recently. In order to improve my Spanish and understand the nuances of Latin America, I tried to watch some Latin America based movies recently.  One of them was The Liberator. (Picture above is a snapshot from the movie). It is based on the life of Simón Bolívar. I read that this movie was the movie that six countries in Latin America had been waiting to see. So, what's so special about Simón Bolívar? Well apparently, this dude "fought over 100 battles against the Spanish Empire in South America. He rode over 70,000 miles on horseback. His military campaigns covered twice the territory of Alexander the Great, But his army never conquered – it liberated" . That’s why he got to be known as the Liberator.

Since, I am also planning on visiting/staying in Medellin, Colombia I also watched Escobar: Paradise Lost. It is not entirely a true story of Pablo Escobar. For some reason, they decided to revolve the movie around a fictional character.

UPDATE: This post ends my posts on Ecuador. Moving forward, I will be posting using Wordpress that allows you to sign up with your e-mail so that you are automatically notified each time there is a new post. The link to the new site:  https://thehappyminimalist.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment